Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Altec A7's on ebay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member wixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec A7's on ebay

    Just wondering if anyone could offer some opinions on these A7's on Australian Ebay?

    ALTEC VOTT A7 SPEAKERS VINTAGE BUT AS NEW - eBay, Speakers, Subwoofers, Audio, Electronics. (end time 13-Jan-10 21:00:18 AEDST)

    Worth the money?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    Heavily modified by the looks of 'er. No VOTT Xover appeared on the front, nor did the Alnico 802 appear with the 1201 xover in stock form from my pouring over on-line catalogs in the past. Nor did they come with the little dome or bullet type aftermarket tweeter. Port size has been reduced, and wire screen over woof not original. Not bad-sounding perhaps, and nicely finished, but mint no.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay


  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by aeyb701 View Post
    Heavily modified by the looks of 'er. No VOTT Xover appeared on the front, nor did the Alnico 802 appear with the 1201 xover in stock form from my pouring over on-line catalogs in the past. Nor did they come with the little dome or bullet type aftermarket tweeter. Port size has been reduced, and wire screen over woof not original. Not bad-sounding perhaps, and nicely finished, but mint no.
    Actually, I bought a pair of A7's brand new in 1977 with the following: (These were called A7X models)
    416-8B, N1201-8A, 511-B horn with an 802-8G HF driver. I'll gladly scan the original poop sheets which I still have if you like. I still have all the original components. $389 each and were advertized as "Disco Speakers" Can't you just hear the Bee Gees in the background? My roomie and I each bought a pair....we stacked em and could scare the neighbors.

    The extra tweet and the front mounted crossovers as well as the port size on these are mods.

    $2400 is feeshing.

    Ron

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    I just looked at the ad that "mah" posted the link for--this has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read in a speaker ad "Will not be allow demo because last time ebayer come from Morniton and bring iplod and make distrortion on both speaker. Sorry."

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec A7's on ebay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    You are correct about the A7X

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg

    But the ones in Oz still would have the wrong HF driver, port mods, grille missing, and that silly tweeter added. Not to mention the crossover mounting.

    As new my arse.

    $800 US tops and I probably wouldn't pay that. I'd wait for the next pair.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    The cabinets are either refurbished or non-Altec. Look at the edges.......they're rounded over, and they've obviously been repainted. I'm not saying any of that is bad, but it's certainly something to be aware of.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    You are correct about the A7X

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg

    But the ones in Oz still would have the wrong HF driver, port mods, grille missing, and that silly tweeter added. Not to mention the crossover mounting.

    As new my arse.

    $800 US tops and I probably wouldn't pay that. I'd wait for the next pair.
    Because Altec got a bit weird in the later days, they might have made some with the 802-8D drivers. Who knows. They might not have been the A7X though.

    In my opinion, A7's are way cool, not real HiFi freindly though w/o a lot of mods and some EQ on the low end. My sweeps always showed a peak around 250-300 hz, and a weak bottom end. I have had 3 sets.
    I bought what I have now cause they were $200, and were rather pristine plywood models. Ok, very pristine. One of the 416-8A's has a cone rub when mounted horizontal. It's a shame, the drivers look brand new. Removed from the cab and worked through it's cone range by hand, it goes away. Must be some sort of fragment in there that works it's way into the gap. No way to get that out!

    I'd sell them in a heartbeat to an enthusiast....but won't deal with shipping. similar problem to most trying to sell A7's.

    Ron

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec A7's on ebay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    One of the 416-8A's has a cone rub when mounted horizontal. It's a shame, the drivers look brand new.

    Ron
    It is a heavy cone in a loose suspension.

    Over time, gravity drags the cone off center, resulting in "sag".

    If that is the issue, rotate it 180 degrees how it is mounted...ie put what was down up. Over time it will return to center.

    Altec used to recommend rotating at regular intervals in the old days. It's good practice with any heavy cone speaker.

    I thought about suggesting my GF stand on her head, but am fond of living, so I didn't.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7's on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    You are correct about the A7X

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg

    But the ones in Oz still would have the wrong HF driver, port mods, grille missing, and that silly tweeter added. Not to mention the crossover mounting.

    As new my arse.

    $800 US tops and I probably wouldn't pay that. I'd wait for the next pair.
    BTW....those are exactly what I bought......memories!

    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.